Need help with backend server

Ask for hardware advice here

Moderator: Pablo

PaulT

Need help with backend server

Post by PaulT » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:49 am

I was wondering if anyone can help me. I have an HP DL580 with Quad 1.4GHz CPUs, 4GB RAM and 300GB internal HD in a RAID array. WIll this hardware work as a backend server? I was thinking of running MythDora. Thanks for your help.

tsjoender
Contributor

Post by tsjoender » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:33 am

That server will run Linux just fine. I installed RHEL/CentOS on such a box and other DLxxx servers. Not sure if it has enough PCI slots for your tuner cards though.

An important consideration however is power draw. Keeping it running 24/7 might be costly in time. A backend wouldn't typically need four CPUs and 4 GB RAM to do it's work. Noise levels could be an issue as well with such systems.

I think for home use it's somewhat overkill (although the iLO interface is really handy), but then again with such projects they don't have to be rationally sane. Most fun is in the tinkering and getting it to work. HP servers are very Linux friendly, so that shouldn't be in your way to try it out.

otwin

Post by otwin » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:06 am

IMHO, it's complete overkill and energy waste, not to mention the noise these things make.. Myth just doesn't need much on the backend other than space for your recordings. Also, those 4 CPUs won't help you at transcoding unless you do 4 jobs simultaneously.

And if you still want to use it simply because you can, the big problem is that you probably only have PCI-X and PCI-Express slots, and I don't know of any tuner card for these that could by used in Linux.

But yes, linux works great on Proliants...

PaulT

Post by PaulT » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:42 am

tsjoender - Thanks for your reply. I really appreciate it. I know its overkill, but since I have it, the price is right. It has 6 PCI-X slots which should be fine for 4 tuner cards and 2 HBA Fibre cards attached to a FASTT for file storage.

otwin - Thanks for your reply. Well, since I already have a room dedicated in my basement as a data center with 4 racks of equipment running, noise is not an issue since I completely insulated and sound proofed it. The DL 580 has 6 PCI-X slots which are forward and backward compatible with both the slots and cards.

hardware

Re: Need help with backend server

Post by hardware » Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:47 pm

hi,
of course it will work. As you said here you've high configuration hardware. it will be fine using as backend.
it will work for sure.