Geforce 8300

Ask for hardware advice here

Moderator: Pablo

slapic

Geforce 8300

Post by slapic » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:47 pm

Hello,

I have an Asus M3N-H/HDMI motherboard which has an nvidia geforce 8300 chip (10de:0848) on it.
The X server with the 173.14.09 nvidia driver works under Ubuntu, but I can't start X on Minimyth. I've tried the latest stable and testing releases without any success.
Due to the nvidia docs, it is supported since 173.14.04.

How can I make it work with Mimimyth (PXE version)?

Thank you!

Regards,
Krisztian

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:19 am

MiniMyth includes the NVIDIA 169.12 driver. The newer NVIDIA 173.14.x drivers contain a bug that breaks DPMS.

However, the MiniMyth build system contains the NVIDIA 173.14.12 driver. Therefore, the MiniMyth can be built with the driver.

Is there some reason to use the NVIDIA GeForce 8300?
MiniMyth running on an Acer ApireRevo 3610 and a Zotac ZBOX-ID80-U. Find out more at my MythTV page.

slapic

Post by slapic » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:59 am

Pablo wrote:MiniMyth includes the NVIDIA 169.12 driver. The newer NVIDIA 173.14.x drivers contain a bug that breaks DPMS.

However, the MiniMyth build system contains the NVIDIA 173.14.12 driver. Therefore, the MiniMyth can be built with the driver.

Is there some reason to use the NVIDIA GeForce 8300?
Thank you for the reply.

On the opening page of minimyth org:
The latest version of MiniMyth contains:
# NVIDIA Xorg graphics driver 173.14.05
The reason for using the 8300 is that it is integrated on my motherboard. The reason of using this motherbord is that it has an HDMI output, the nvidia chipset has a linux driver and due to the opening page of minimyth, the chip is supported :-(

And I need a motherboard and CPU that can play an HD H.264 15mbps stream. What would you use for this (if you have to buy now)?

Could you please provide a binary version with the new nvidia driver also (as there's a version with the old one)?
Thank you.

Regards,
Krisztian

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:16 pm

slapic wrote:On the opening page of minimyth org:
The latest version of MiniMyth contains:
# NVIDIA Xorg graphics driver 173.14.05
Doh. I need to fix that. I had updated to the 173.14.05 driver, but reverted when the DPMS bug was reported. At some point, I should create a script that auto-generates the page. That way it will stay synchronized with reality.
The reason for using the 8300 is that it is integrated on my motherboard. The reason of using this motherbord is that it has an HDMI output, the nvidia chipset has a linux driver and due to the opening page of minimyth, the chip is supported :-(

And I need a motherboard and CPU that can play an HD H.264 15mbps stream. What would you use for this (if you have to buy now)?

Could you please provide a binary version with the new nvidia driver also (as there's a version with the old one)?
Sure.

Did you want HDMI because you want audio over HDMI?

At this point, the released NVIDIA driver does not support HDMI audio. However, the 177.x series driver is supposed to support HDMI audio. Currently, the 177.x series driver is in beta. Some have said that they have HDMI audio working with the beta driver.

Would you like the build to include the released 173.x or the beta 177.x driver?
MiniMyth running on an Acer ApireRevo 3610 and a Zotac ZBOX-ID80-U. Find out more at my MythTV page.

slapic

Post by slapic » Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:49 pm

Sure.
Thank you!
Did you want HDMI because you want audio over HDMI?
No (at least not now). I just need the video (the separate S/PDIF audio what I use now).
At this point, the released NVIDIA driver does not support HDMI audio. However, the 177.x series driver is supposed to support HDMI audio. Currently, the 177.x series driver is in beta. Some have said that they have HDMI audio working with the beta driver.

Would you like the build to include the released 173.x or the beta 177.x driver?
I don't mind. Which works better :-)

Thanx again. And thanx for the great work with Minimyth!

Regards,
Krisztian

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:27 pm

I have uploaded a test version with the 173.x series dirver: 0.21.0-58b2-nvidia.173.x.x.