EPIA
20%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 5

richb01803

Buying new frontend boxes, looking for mobos that work

Post by richb01803 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:05 am

My out-of-box experience with MiniMyth was very positive: I was able to bring up an ancient EPIA board and use it to do some simple SD stuff quickly. However, once I dug in and wanted to get everything working the way I want, and implement a household-wide HD solution, I ran into a minefield. I was stunned to learn that the first new motherboard I bought for this, GA-MA78GM-S2H, doesn't boot and won't ever boot with MiniMyth.

RTFM and Google don't seem to help because most information is incomplete and outdated.

I want to go online to Newegg.com this week and buy the parts for an HD frontend setup. If you've recently bought one and resolved all the problems I'd like to hear from you.

* Steady, jitterfree HD streaming. Hopefully without hours of driver tweaking; I'm finding the most common problem with vendor drivers is the dreaded segfault.

* Suspend-to-RAM from the power button on an MCE remote.

* No crashes/instability/whatever issues

* Motherboard device interfaces: HDMI, VGA, TOSlink

* Fanless low-power (under 30W) if possible, else very quiet

It really feels to me like 2009 or 2010 is the soonest I'll be able to get this off-the-shelf and Just Have It Work. But I hope I'm wrong and that the parts are available now from Newegg. If you sense a tone of desperation in this post...it's because I've been futzing with this stuff more or less constantly since the 18th of August and have been going through Linux distros like mad trying to find something that works.

richb01803

Post by richb01803 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:32 am

Anyone with suggestions? I'm hoping to do my part to prop up the global economy. I want to buy 4 or 5 front-end setups that work out-of-the-box.

TT_ZX

Post by TT_ZX » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:28 am

Currently there are no hardware solutions for decoding the H.264 video used here in New Zealand. CPU power required to decode this is excessive so I shelved HD for the mean time until a hardware solution is available. Can't say I'm happy about it, just removed the DVB-T card from my mythbackend because of this. Sticking with DVB-S for now.