Diskless HD Minimyth Frontend

Ask for hardware advice here

Moderator: Pablo

stoge

Diskless HD Minimyth Frontend

Post by stoge » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:43 pm

All,

With the help of this wonderful site and Sir Pablo, I have successfully setup a Minimyth Frontend using standard SD outputs for both audio and video. I now want to take the journey of building a quiet diskless frontend for my HDVT to include HD outputs for both audio and video at 1080p. My three requirements are that it is quiet, small (miniITX or microITX) and can boot via PXE.

Can anyone share with me their hardware configuration for a working system I have just described? Of course all hardware needs to be supported by Minimyth!!!

Thanks!

SToGE

thekorn
Contributor

Post by thekorn » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:09 am

Unless you need a frontend right now, I'd wait for the Nvidia Ion to hit the streets. That thing looks hot, and blows away the itx form factors entirely.

Combine the ION with VDPAU, and you have one blistering HD capable frontend! I know I'll probably be in for a six pack, and just toss them about the house! (droooooool)

stoge

Post by stoge » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:51 pm

Wow! That thing is SICK! I am sure that will cost an arm and a leg though! Any suggestions that maybe under $250?

thekorn
Contributor

Post by thekorn » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:37 pm

The first ION machine is (almost) out!

Unboxing an engineering sample

rjch

Post by rjch » Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:32 pm

If you're talking under $US250, then I doubt one of these will fit the bill.

I just put together a system myself for $AU528, which I imagine wouldn't be much over the $US250 mark. PXE boots beautifully. The case is quiet (not silent, but not loud enough to be any kind of problem) and a dual core Celeron ought to be able to handle HD. (I don't bother with HD myself)

If building another system, I'd probably substitute the Antec M350 with another case that comes with a better remote and an LCD that doesn't stay backlit constantly and is properly attached to the case, but it's not a major problem.

thekorn
Contributor

Post by thekorn » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:55 pm

rjch wrote:If you're talking under $US250, then I doubt one of these will fit the bill.

I just put together a system myself for $AU528, which I imagine wouldn't be much over the $US250 mark.
AU$528 = US$380 (2009.04.19).

Besides, you're not really comparing apples to apples. You're comparing a huge HTPC case with something the size of a mouse pad. An itx system would be a more appropriate comparison. When I built my last frontend at first I wanted to go itx size, but abandoned it as I couldn't get the features I wanted (#1), nor did I want to pay the 40% price increase for fewer features.
The case is quiet (not silent, but not loud enough to be any kind of problem) and a dual core Celeron ought to be able to handle HD. (I don't bother with HD myself)
No offense, but that's a hugely unfounded leap. I have x264 streams that my 3GHz core2duo struggles to decode without hardware help! Your celeron will decode HD mpeg2 just fine, but will fall over and die on many x264 streams without VDPAU. (Can't comment on with vdpau, as I still can't get it running right. Hurumph.)

rjch

Post by rjch » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:53 pm

thekorn wrote:AU$528 = US$380 (2009.04.19).

Besides, you're not really comparing apples to apples. You're comparing a huge HTPC case with something the size of a mouse pad. An itx system would be a more appropriate comparison. When I built my last frontend at first I wanted to go itx size, but abandoned it as I couldn't get the features I wanted (#1), nor did I want to pay the 40% price increase for fewer features.
I agree - we're talking about two different types of system here. However, stoge was asking for something under $250 and given it's size and features, I doubt an Ion would fit that bill.

Regarding the price, the currency conversion is one thing - but the fact that parts are always more expensive in Australia comes in to play too. A $US200 computer would cost more like $AU450-$AU500 here.
thekorn wrote:No offense, but that's a hugely unfounded leap. I have x264 streams that my 3GHz core2duo struggles to decode without hardware help! Your celeron will decode HD mpeg2 just fine, but will fall over and die on many x264 streams without VDPAU. (Can't comment on with vdpau, as I still can't get it running right. Hurumph.)
I did say that I don't do HD myself. I was basing my guess that it would handle HDTV given that the guide I've always seen for Myth and HD call for a 3GHz processor. Whilst the Celeron in my system is 2GHz, it is dual core - though that won't make much difference if the decoder can't/won't use multiple cores.

thekorn
Contributor

Post by thekorn » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:08 am

rjch wrote:However, stoge was asking for something under $250 and given it's size and features, I doubt an Ion would fit that bill.
Why? An ION is basically a netbook with a better graphics CPU minus the screen. You already have netbooks hitting US$250 as their *daily* street price. I don't think that omitting the screen off a netbook is going to make the price increase! :D

jack
Contributor

Post by jack » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:50 am

Yup, ION isn't looking that expensive.

I've just read about Acer's New 'Revo'. An ION based machine with HDMI 1Gb Ram and a 8GB SSD (can surely be ripped out and used elsewhere ;) ) for only £164 I can see this becoming 'the' platform for Minimyth.

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/9606798/A ... oduct.html

Edit : I'm weak - have given into temptation & ordered it!

rjch

Post by rjch » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:02 am

If we're talking about 164 EU$164 (I don't have the euro symbol on my keyboard!) then I'd agree - it sounds like it could be an absolutely brilliant MythTV frontend!

My previous objections were based on what I probably mis-read as a multiple thousand dollar price tag.

jack
Contributor

Post by jack » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:15 am

Not Euro, Pounds.

Google says :
164.99 British pounds = 240.472925 U.S. dollars

164.99 British pounds = 339.507165 Australian dollars

The price there includes our VAT (15%) - IIRC, you quote prices excluding taxes over the other side of the pond.

thekorn
Contributor

Post by thekorn » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:15 pm

jack wrote:Not Euro, Pounds.

Google says :
164.99 British pounds = 240.472925 U.S. dollars
Hmmm! So minus the VAT, that works out to roughly US$208. Looking pretty tasty! :)
The price there includes our VAT (15%) - IIRC, you quote prices excluding taxes over the other side of the pond.
Yeah... whether or not tax is applied AND the tax rate depends on where the retailer and the buyer are located, so it's not commonly mentioned.

For example, if I buy something from TigerDirect.com, I get nailed with a 10% tax since they have an outlet in my state. (Oh joy. Not like I'm going to drive three hours to actually go there, but it is what it is.) If I buy the identical thing from Newegg.com, I get it tax free since they don't operate in my state. Often times it boils down to a game whether shipping is cheaper than paying tax! :)

jack
Contributor

Re: Diskless HD Minimyth Frontend

Post by jack » Fri May 29, 2009 1:09 pm

Hmm, I'm not actually sure that the Linux version of the Revo actually exists!

Absolutely nowhere has it in stock and Play are playing games with my pre-order.

However, I've just stumbled across this ...
http://www.aleutia.com/products/h1-hotel-pc

The box isn't nearly as stylish, but its much more discrete. It is also totally silent and contains 2GB RAM.

£199 + VAT (£228.85)

or with the dual core Atom 330 CPU and wireless (802.11n)

£249 + VAT (£286.35)

Also, the company claims to be an ethical co. with aims of bringing affordable computing to disadvantaged countries & communities. I'm guessing that their product is likely to be more easily hackable too.

Hmm.. tempted to spend almost twice as much on a more powerful but silent box.

I don't suppose anyone has any experience with these?

Have just dropped them a mail as their website seems confused over whether the more expensive one has 2 Atom 230 CPUs, a single Atom 330 or two Atom 330s.

jack
Contributor

Post by jack » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:23 pm

The above finally arrived and works well.

The system is the Zotac motherboard and a suitable case that you can get both elsewhere. I would recommend doing so as the company I bought off were very slow and uncommunicative. I was driven to open a Paypal dispute before they sent me the unit.

mx-5
Contributor

Post by mx-5 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:56 am

jack wrote:Hmm, I'm not actually sure that the Linux version of the Revo actually exists!
Resurrecting this thread...

Just noticed this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/NewProduc ... Tpk=ar1600

I built a Zotac Atom ION mini itx system recently that I'm very happy with, but this Revo has the same specs in a smaller package and you get a bonus 160gb drive to use elsewhere! If this system works, WOW!