Ask for hardware advice here

Moderator: Pablo

thekorn
Contributor

Frontend with AMD graphics?

Post by thekorn » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:13 am

Hey folks!

I'm trying to figure out if this mini frontend by Zotac:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6856173006 (Zotac ZBOX-HD-AD01 with AMD 780E Radeon HD 3200)

is going to work for minimyth. I know that basically anything will work on some level, but I'm looking for GPU-acceleration under minimyth. I tried doing some google searches, but I keep getting conflicting results regarding linux support and AMD graphics chipsets.

Anyone who knows whats going on right now care to weigh in? Worst case I can always go with an ION based one, but that's more money (of course!).

Thanks!

Pablo
Site Admin

Re: Frontend with AMD graphics?

Post by Pablo » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:51 am

MiniMyth will not support GPU based video decoding acceleration with any ATI/AMD GPU hardware.

The ATI/AMD GPU proprietary drivers are needed to get any GPU based video decoding acceleration with ATI/AMD GPU hardware. MiniMyth contains only the Open Source ATI/AMD GPU drivers.

In addition, in order to get more advanced GPU based video decoding acceleration (e.g. H.264 decoding acceleration) with these drivers, the library that maps ATI/AMD GPU prorietary driver API to VA-API is needed and the application needs to support VA-API. MiniMyth does not contain the mapping library and MythTV does not yet have VA-API support.
MiniMyth running on an Acer ApireRevo 3610 and a Zotac ZBOX-ID80-U. Find out more at my MythTV page.

thekorn
Contributor

Re: Frontend with AMD graphics?

Post by thekorn » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:55 am

Ah, well that certainly does answer that question then -- not a good idea. Thanks!