linux pvr works perfectly and looks good, IMO

Talk about successully using hardware here.

Moderator: Pablo

Tom Brown

linux pvr works perfectly and looks good, IMO

Post by Tom Brown » Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:18 am

This is an nMedia 200 case. It looks good to my eye. It's not as nice looking as the Denon 3806 below it but I feel it doesn't look out of place adjacent to the Denon. Strangely, that huge power button matches the Denon's knobs nicely.

The system is an Asus A8N-VM CSM using onboard video, 1GB RAM, and an Antec PSU.

Tom Brown

Post by Tom Brown » Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:27 am

I made some cooling mods to the case.

I replaced the front fan with a Panaflo 80L. You can see it on the left side of the picture. It mounted in with no problem.

The Antec TruePower 380 was fitted with an 80L in place of the Antec fan.

The rear case fans were removed and every vent hole covered from the inside with packing tape. That includes the lid, sides, and back.

Lastly, I removed the noisiest fan in the system. That being the CPU fan. To provide airflow over the heatsink, I installed an 80L where the CPU duct was (the CPU duct has the same hole pattern as an 80mm fan).

The real enabler here is MiniMyth. With no hard drive to make noise and heat, and no power gobbling video card to create heat, the system is easily cooled with these three very quiet fans.

The system went from being quite audible to being inaudible except when the doors of the stand are open and I listen very closely.

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:09 pm

Nice setup.

Does the nMediaPC's LCD display work with MiniMyth?
MiniMyth running on an Acer ApireRevo 3610 and a Zotac ZBOX-ID80-U. Find out more at my MythTV page.

Tom Brown

Post by Tom Brown » Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:13 am

Thanks.

The LCD only displays MB temp, CPU temps, and case fan speed (temps measured via probes). It works OK and gives a general indication but it's not like a nice programmable LCD display.

I'm thinking about upgrading the LCD because it looks cheap.