Asus eee 701 working perfectly

Talk about successully using hardware here.

Moderator: Pablo

TT_ZX

Asus eee 701 working perfectly

Post by TT_ZX » Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:47 am

Silent, low powered ultra-portable laptop that can be obtained for very little moolaa.
More info here:
http://wiki.eeeuser.com/eee_pc_701

I'm sure similar models will work just as well. Now I can use it watch myth with no fuss by plugging in the wired network and LCD screen or take it on the road with me.

ThomP

Post by ThomP » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:32 am

I'm considering an eee pc as a cheap extra client for my Mythtv setup. Could you reveal some more detais on this?

- Are you booting locally or via tftp?
- Are you able to run Minimyth through wireless?
- Is the installation "plug and play" (like with Via Epia)?

Best regards
Thomas

TT_ZX

Post by TT_ZX » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:58 am

Booting via tftp. Obviously tftp won't work for wireless. I doubt the wireless would work with a local boot because the drivers are not in the kernel. Work's out of the box, no hacking required.

This is a good setup for SD playback onto an external monitor via the VGA port. Low power so no good for HD playback.

ThomP

Post by ThomP » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:50 pm

TT_ZX wrote:Booting via tftp. Obviously tftp won't work for wireless. I doubt the wireless would work with a local boot because the drivers are not in the kernel. Work's out of the box, no hacking required.

This is a good setup for SD playback onto an external monitor via the VGA port. Low power so no good for HD playback.
I just ordered an eee 900 (~€227) :)

Which remote/IR receiver are you using for your eee (if any)?

I have seen posts elsewhere that you can install Mythtv "directly" on top of the supplied OS. I guess that would allow wireless operation - if that is true I have just bought a portable Myth client! If not, it will probably end up with MiniMyth wired up and serving the tv in the kitchen - still a very cheap mythtv client!!

TT_ZX

Post by TT_ZX » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:38 am

Still using my USB/RF keyboard at the moment. I've got an xbox remote but haven't got around to getting it working yet. Can't see any problem with setting up mythtv on the stock OS.