Component out from EPIA EN12000EG with minimyth-0.21.0-57

Talk about successully using hardware here.

Moderator: Pablo

Glidos
Contributor

Component out from EPIA EN12000EG with minimyth-0.21.0-57

Post by Glidos » Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:01 pm

After initial success with a J7F2WE1G2E board, but slight disappointment with picture quality, I've now bought an EN12000EG and used it's component out header. For DVB-T content into my SD TV, the picture quality is superb, the equal of my old Thomson and Pace DVRs.

I had to use mode 720x576Over. It's the only one that works for PAL with the VT1625M chip. Also, I'm finding that I'm getting smoother playback with ffmpeg decoding and XVideo blitting, rather than XVMC.

As with the other board, good quality picture requires turning off as muh processing as possible, so no scaling, and TVDeflicker disabled.

The only down side is that I've lost SPDIF. I'm hoping I can find a fix for that.

Pablo: Minimyth docs say MM_X_TV_OUTPUT='YCbCr' is untested. I can confirm it works.

Glidos
Contributor

Post by Glidos » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:51 am

Ignore what I said about ffmpeg being smoother than xvmc. I was confusing myself because of a strange interaction with the "extra audio buffering" setting. Actually both Standard xvmc(xvmc) and VIA xvmc(xvmc-vld) are smoother than ffmpeg, with Standard xvmc being smooth only if not using extra audio buffering.

I have no idea why the extra audio buffering setting affects the smoothness of video. I noticed the lack of smoothness when I very first used the setting, but then convinced myself I must be imagining it. My son, home from Uni for the weekend, noticed the lack of smoothness straight away, and confirmed that turning off extra audio buffering cured it. The problem was noticable only with Standard xvmc: using VIA xvmc seems to allow use of extra audio buffering, without loss of smoothness.

Glidos
Contributor

Post by Glidos » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:17 pm

I eventually gave up with the EN12000EG, finding I prefered the results from my initial J7F2WE1G2E, which I now think is a really good choice for a small silent frontend.

Lately I've build a larger fanned system based around a motherboard with a built in X1250. That, using the radeon driver can produce 720x576i from VGA, which I run into a VGA to Scart circuit. This, at last, gives me picture quality as good as, or maybe slightly better than, my old DVRs.