Success: ASUS M3N78-VM + Gigabyte 7200GS

Talk about successully using hardware here.

Moderator: Pablo

GloomyTrousers

Success: ASUS M3N78-VM + Gigabyte 7200GS

Post by GloomyTrousers » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:08 pm

Hi all,

Thought I'd post a quick success story. I was going for a low-ish cost MiniMyth box, which would Just Work with MiniMyth, and plug into my existing bog-standard CRT TV and into my slightly nicer HiFi.

This is what I bought:
Motherboard: ASUS M3N78-VM (7.1 channel sound, HDMI, Optical S/PDIF) - £50
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7200GS (nVidia chipset) - £20
Processor: AMD Sempron LE-1250 2.2GHz (low energy and still seems to have more than enough grunt) - £24
Case: Shiny black and red (nice-looking case, budget feel, and I replaced the noisy PSU fan, but does the job) - £25
RAM: 1GB - £10
Remote: Streamzap - £22
Storage: IDE-to-CF adaptor - £10 - and a 512MB CF card I had spare (my install only uses 117MB)

I spent 2 days looking for a sutable micro-ATX m/b for AMD CPU, but simply could not find one that was actually still being sold with TV-out - so bought the graphics card to use until I upgrade my TV to one that supports HDMI. The board was the one item I felt I really had to splash out on to get decent sound and a degree of future-proofing - for most of the rest of the components I went for the cheapest which appeared likely to do the job, and so far I haven't been disappointed.

Overall cost, including a Composite RCA + 3.5mm jack to SCART cable, and postage from 3 different suppliers (eBuyer, LinITX and Maplin) was around £190.

I encountered some minor issues before I actually had a usable system:

1) After assembling all the components, the machine simply wouldn't boot - didn't even get to POST - solved by discharging the CMOS using the jumper on the m/b and making sure everything was seated correctly (not sure which of these 2 actually cured it!).

2) I had to set up the necessary access to the backend - iptables rules needed to allow the box to connect to MythTV (TCP port 6543 & 65444), MySQL (3306) and NFS (2049), then the correct MySQL user and grants; as the 'root' MySQL user in the 'mysql' schema:

Code: Select all

-- Copy the existing mythtv user
insert into user (host,User, Password, Select_priv, Insert_priv, Update_priv, Delete_priv, Create_priv, Drop_priv, Reload_priv, Shutdown_priv, Process_priv, File_priv, Grant_priv, References_priv, Index_priv, Alter_priv, Show_db_priv, Super_priv, Create_tmp_table_priv, Lock_tables_priv, Execute_priv, Repl_slave_priv, Repl_client_priv, Create_view_priv, Show_view_priv, Create_routine_priv, Alter_routine_priv, Create_user_priv, ssl_type, ssl_cipher, x509_issuer, x509_subject, max_questions, max_updates, max_connections, max_user_connections)
select 'YOUR_MINIMYTH_HOSTNAME', User, Password, Select_priv, Insert_priv, Update_priv, Delete_priv, Create_priv, Drop_priv, Reload_priv, Shutdown_priv, Process_priv, File_priv, Grant_priv, References_priv, Index_priv, Alter_priv, Show_db_priv, Super_priv, Create_tmp_table_priv, Lock_tables_priv, Execute_priv, Repl_slave_priv, Repl_client_priv, Create_view_priv, Show_view_priv, Create_routine_priv, Alter_routine_priv, Create_user_priv, ssl_type, ssl_cipher, x509_issuer, x509_subject, max_questions, max_updates, max_connections, max_user_connections
from user where user = 'mythtv';
FLUSH PRIVILEGES;
-- Then I used a MySQL admin tool to grant all permissions except GRANT on the mythconverg schema to the mythtv user on this host; a suitable SQL GRANT would have done the same.
3) Then I had an issue actually getting the TV output to work in X... turns out that if you enable more than one graphics output (DVI/VGA/TV) then Minimyth only uses the best quality one.

Other than this, it did Just Work - my minimyth.conf contains just sensible values and the majority of settings are at their defaults! These are all the hardware-related options I needed:

Code: Select all

MM_X_OUTPUT_DVI='none'	### } xorg config defaults to using highest-quality display, so these need to be off for TV to work
MM_X_OUTPUT_VGA='none'	### }
MM_X_OUTPUT_TV='auto'
MM_X_TV_TYPE='PAL-I'	### UK standard is PAL-I
MM_X_TV_OVERSCAN=0.62	### Prevent black border round TV picture - value obtained by trial-and-error
Thanks and appreciation to all those involved in creating and supporting MiniMyth - it's an excellent, high-quality piece of software! :D

Regards,

Russ