Announce/Discuss projects you are working on for MiniMyth

Moderator: Pablo

Pablo
Site Admin

Re:

Post by Pablo » Sun May 10, 2009 10:54 pm

pmcenery wrote:
azawacki wrote:HDMI hot plug event: Presence_Detect=0 ELD_Valid=1
I have recently bought a DG45FC and been trying to get HDMI audio working. I am also getting this message and can confirm that sound works until X is started. I also found the following upstream bug which has been reported. Hopefully it gets fixed soon:

https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=21371
I have added the patch from the bug report. It has been committed and will be in the next build (67b6).
MiniMyth running on an Acer ApireRevo 3610 and a Zotac ZBOX-ID80-U. Find out more at my MythTV page.

pmcenery
Contributor

Re: Re:

Post by pmcenery » Tue May 12, 2009 6:30 pm

Pablo wrote:
[...]

I have added the patch from the bug report. It has been committed and will be in the next build (67b6).
Thanks Pablo.

I have downloaded this and given it a whirl. The error message is no longer there, but I dont appear to have any sound at all. Either by analogue or HDMI. I will have a closer look at the weekend.

azawacki

Re: HD MiniMyth on DG45FC

Post by azawacki » Wed May 13, 2009 2:13 pm

Success at last!

Research indicated that I needed to wait for various changes in the intel driver and xorg server to get hdmi audio working.

I've been periodically downloading and testing minimyth builds.

Last night, downloaded and built svn version 4752. I booted it up this morning, and copied over the alsa utilities that I needed to test audio. An "aplay -D hdmi Startup.wav" played audio! So going into minimyth in the Setup / Utilities -> Setup -> General and quickly changed the audio output devices to ALSA:hdmi and it works!

Thank you very much Pablo for your help throughout this adventure of getting this to work.

Since I started this project, I've bought a PS3 for blu-ray playback, and have installed yellowdog linux on it. I guess the next logical step is to try to rip one of my blu-ray discs and see if this machine can play it back... Though in reality, I only care if it can play back hd-pvr recordings for when .22 comes out. I'll try to keep updaing this thread as progress is made!

Thanks much,
Anthony

pmcenery
Contributor

Post by pmcenery » Wed May 13, 2009 3:49 pm

azawacki wrote:Success at last!
Whats the video quality like? From what I hear, the tearing issue should be fixed now.

azawacki

Post by azawacki » Wed May 13, 2009 7:14 pm

pmcenery wrote:
azawacki wrote:Success at last!
Whats the video quality like? From what I hear, the tearing issue should be fixed now.
For the most part, it is pretty good. It looks like there are still issues either with my set up / configuration, or with the intel driver. Playing back recordings from a PVR-150 results in a load average of ~1.0 where X is using 45% of the cpu, mythfrontend is using 45% of the cpu, and the rest is used up by other stuff... So the load average floats between .95 - 1.1. There may be some settings that I need to play with in mythtv or in the xorg.conf (I have one as my Mitsubishi tv doesn't work out of the box without corrected modelines) to get better cpu utilization.

For the most part, this is ok. Once in 15 minutes, the audio cuts out for .5 - 1 second but stays in sync. (After just finishing watching the last hour of a movie, it probably happened 3-4 times. This didn't happen previously with analog out, so it is something related to the hdmi audio.

As far as overall video quality, it would rate it about an 80 out of 100 at the moment. This machine currently dual boots between minimyth with hdmi audio working, and fedora 9 with analog audio. I initially tested vista breifly when I first set the computer up. At this time, video quality is this:
#1 -- Vista, by far, it took standard DVDs and really made the display shine.
#2 -- Fedora, this is probably at 90 out of 100. It's using an older video driver, which was more stable, but the rest of the system is fairly hacked together, as out of the box, Fedora 9 didn't support most of the features of the motherboard. The ethernet module was hand compiled for the kernel just to get updates working...
#3 -- Minimyth, the audio droppouts are annoying, and I do see some slight stutter in the video occasionally, the fact that the audio works seemlessly means one less remote.

After running into initial issues setting up this system, I had expected 6 months for things to stablize. It's been nearly 9 months now, and we're not quite there. We're leaps and bounds ahead of where we were though. I'm still leaning towards another 6 months to make things solid.

pmcenery
Contributor

Post by pmcenery » Fri May 22, 2009 8:03 am

Sorry for the delay in reply. Thanks for the comprehensive overview of your findings. I have manged to get things up and running and I have got to say - its pretty much perfect now. I eventually built minimyth svn r4778 as follows:

Code: Select all

mm_KERNEL_VERSION         ?= 2.6.29
mm_MYTH_VERSION           ?= 0.21
mm_XORG_VERSION           ?= 7.4
Video quality is perfect - no tearing, no audio drop out. It is pretty much perfect. I do however have one issue, and that is that S3 suspend to ram is not capable of waking up. It simply boots from scratch every time it wakes up. I have been though the BIOS and cant seem to see any issues. Has anyone else seen this?

Otherwise, I am running the following miniyth config:

# Global
MM_X_OUTPUT_HDMI='auto'
MM_X_REFRESH='60'
MM_X_RESOLUTION='1360x768'
MM_X_RESTART_ON_SLEEP_ENABLED='yes'
MM_X_VNC_ENABLED='yes'
MM_AUDIO_CARD_NUMBER='0'
MM_AUDIO_DEVICE_NUMBER='3'
MM_VIDEO_ASPECT_RATIO='16:9'
MM_VIDEO_DECODER='auto'
MM_VIDEO_DEINTERLACER='auto'
MM_VIDEO_PLAYBACK_PROFILE='MiniMyth'

# Security
MM_SECURITY_USER_MINIMYTH_UID='xxx'
MM_SECURITY_USER_MINIMYTH_GID='xxx'

# MythTV
MM_MASTER_SERVER='192.168.1.100'
MM_MASTER_DBUSERNAME='mythtv'
MM_MASTER_DBPASSWORD='********'
MM_THEME_URL='confro:ProjectGrayhem.tar.bz2'
MM_THEMEOSD_URL='confro:ProjectGrayhem-OSD.tar.bz2'
MM_THEME_NAME='ProjectGrayhem'
MM_THEMEOSD_NAME='ProjectGrayhem-OSD'
MM_X_MYTH_PROGRAM='mythwelcome'

# Lirc
MM_LIRC_AUTO_ENABLED='yes'

# MythGallery
MM_MEDIA_GALLERY_MOUNTPOINT='/var/lib/mythtv/pictures'
MM_MEDIA_GALLERY_URL='nfs://192.168.1.100/var/lib/mythtv/pictures'

# MythVideo
MM_MEDIA_VIDEO_MOUNTPOINT='/var/lib/mythtv/videos'
MM_MEDIA_VIDEO_URL='nfs://192.168.1.100/var/lib/mythtv/videos'

# MythMusic
MM_MEDIA_MUSIC_MOUNTPOINT='/var/lib/mythtv/music'
MM_MEDIA_MUSIC_URL='nfs://192.168.1.100/var/lib/mythtv/music'

# MythDVD
MM_MEDIA_DVD_RIP_MOUNTPOINT='/var/lib/mythtv/dvd'
MM_MEDIA_DVD_RIP_URL='nfs://192.168.1.100/var/lib/mythtv/dvd'

# MythGame
MM_MEDIA_GAME_MOUNTPOINT='/var/lib/mythtv/games'
MM_MEDIA_GAME_URL='nfs://192.168.1.100/var/lib/mythtv/games'
MM_GAME_SAVE_ENABLED='yes'

# Extras
MM_EXTRAS_URL='auto'
Many thanks to all who have helped out!

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Fri May 22, 2009 2:14 pm

pmcenery wrote:Sorry for the delay in reply. Thanks for the comprehensive overview of your findings. I have manged to get things up and running and I have got to say - its pretty much perfect now. I eventually built minimyth svn r4778 as follows:

mm_KERNEL_VERSION         ?= 2.6.29
mm_MYTH_VERSION           ?= 0.21
mm_XORG_VERSION           ?= 7.4
This is the current configuration for the test build (67b8).
I do however have one issue, and that is that S3 suspend to ram is not capable of waking up. It simply boots from scratch every time it wakes up. I have been though the BIOS and cant seem to see any issues. Has anyone else seen this?
Are you running the latest BIOS version (0097)? According the the BIOS release notes, three S3 related problems were fixed: one in release 0097, one in release 0091 and one in 0089.

Have you tried different values of MM_ACPI_VIDEO_FLAGS to see whether or not it helps?
MiniMyth running on an Acer ApireRevo 3610 and a Zotac ZBOX-ID80-U. Find out more at my MythTV page.