MiniMyth for MythTV 0.19

Announce/Discuss projects you are working on for MiniMyth

Moderator: Pablo

Pablo
Site Admin

MiniMyth for MythTV 0.19

Post by Pablo » Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:12 pm

MythTV 0.19 has been released. For those that are adventurous, I have uploaded MiniMyth 0.19beta1.

I have built it using the 'myth/myth*-svn' packages in in the GAR build system, since I have not updated the 'myth/myth*-stable' packages to 0.19 yet. I used MythTV SVN version 8925, which is the SVN version tagged as 0.19, so it should be the same as the official 0.19 release.

Some things have been changed with the location and content of configuration files, so please read the changelog.

I am still running 0.18.1 on my backend, so I have not been able to test this release. I know that it compiles, but I do not know whether or not it runs.

Have fun.

Eduardo
Contributor

Post by Eduardo » Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:50 pm

Man your fast!
Eduardo
-- M10000-Ezra 512M minimyth-0.19 / AMD 1.1 GHz 512M PVR350 w/tvout Myth 0.19 knoppmyth.R5B7

juski
Contributor

Post by juski » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:24 pm

Thanks Pablo!

I'll be upgrading pretty soon, though I feel it necessary to switch my backend to ubuntu from gentoo because maintenance is becoming a pain.

I'm currently running minimyth-0.18.1.2 (!), so I'm expecting some pretty big changes. Why didn't I upgrade? Well there's this old saying.. if it ain't broke... ;-) I really want 0.19 though, so I guess it's unavoidable.
The words 'digital' and 'quality' are not synonymous

jack
Contributor

Post by jack » Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:42 am

I'm currently in the process of rolling back to 0.18 :?

With my setup (DVB-T in the UK), changing channels and starting liveTV takes an unbearable amount of time - this isn't a minimyth problem, but something in myth 0.19. It seems that a number of other people are experiencing this too.

With minimyth, on my EPIA SP8000, video display seems to drop many frames for a second or so, then play normally for a second before slowing again (this sequence of slow down and speed up repeats continually).

I'll probably set up a test backendover the weekend so I can devote a bit of time to troubleshooting later.

french_mullet

Post by french_mullet » Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:13 am

I've been using 0.19 for a few hours and it works very well. The only bug I've found is that aewm doesn't start even when MM_X_WM_ENABLED=yes is specified. Mplayer needs a WM. This is what happens when i try and start it from a telnet session.

~ $ echo $DISPLAY
:0.0
~ $ aewm
aewm: font '-bitstream-bitstream vera sans-medium-r-normal-*-*-*-*-*-p-*-iso10646-1' not found

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:01 am

french_mullet wrote:I've been using 0.19 for a few hours and it works very well. The only bug I've found is that aewm doesn't start even when MM_X_WM_ENABLED=yes is specified. Mplayer needs a WM. This is what happens when i try and start it from a telnet session.

~ $ echo $DISPLAY
:0.0
~ $ aewm
aewm: font '-bitstream-bitstream vera sans-medium-r-normal-*-*-*-*-*-p-*-iso10646-1' not found
Thank you for the feedback.

I noticed the aewm problem this morning. It is a result of upgrading dropping the the bitstream vera font when I upgraded to Xorg 7.0. I checked in a fix for the problem, so it should be fixed in the next beta (which should be out soon). I never noticed it before because I do not use a window manager or mplayer.

Hairlocks
Contributor

Post by Hairlocks » Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:01 pm

jack wrote:I'm currently in the process of rolling back to 0.18 :?

With my setup (DVB-T in the UK), changing channels and starting liveTV takes an unbearable amount of time - this isn't a minimyth problem, but something in myth 0.19. It seems that a number of other people are experiencing this too.

With minimyth, on my EPIA SP8000, video display seems to drop many frames for a second or so, then play normally for a second before slowing again (this sequence of slow down and speed up repeats continually).

I'll probably set up a test backendover the weekend so I can devote a bit of time to troubleshooting later.
Thanks for the post Jack, I now know to try 0.19 on a test system first. May give it a go next week!

I have heard there could be a issue with excess disk access on the backend for the livetv buffer, which is the first place I would look.

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:55 pm

I have uploaded Minimyth 0.19beta2, which should fix the window manager problem.

juski
Contributor

Post by juski » Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:36 am

Pablo - just want to say thanks for this version - all seems to work swimmingly.

My previous install (0.18.1.2) had a libdvdcss in an extras-blah.tar.bz2 file but I couldn't get that to work with this version. I ended up uncramming the rootfs & recramming it with the file in there. Not so much of a big deal since I put my own theme in there anyway ;)

Oh. There's one thing actually...

I like to use wakeonlan to power on the machine - since I upgraded it doesn't work anymore. I didn't change the BIOS setting myself, so erm.. any ideas why shutting down this version of minimyth would stop WoL working?

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:35 pm

juski wrote:Pablo - just want to say thanks for this version - all seems to work swimmingly.

My previous install (0.18.1.2) had a libdvdcss in an extras-blah.tar.bz2 file but I couldn't get that to work with this version. I ended up uncramming the rootfs & recramming it with the file in there. Not so much of a big deal since I put my own theme in there anyway ;)
Yes, there have been some changes in minimyth.conf since 0.18.1.2.

Rather than looking for an extras tarball (extra-<version>.bz2) by default, it now looks for extras cramfs image (extra-<version>.cmg). Mounting a cramfs image is faster than extracting a tarball, which is why I made the change.

Therefore, if you convert your extras tarball to an extras cramfs image, then it should work. Alternatively, you can set MM_EXTRAS_URL=tftp://extras-blah.tar.bz2, and that should work as well.

In addition, now you can add a theme without modifying the cramfs image using the minimyth.conf parameters MM_THEME_NAME, MM_THEME_URL, MM_THEMEOSD_NAME and MM_THEMEOSD_URL.
Oh. There's one thing actually...

I like to use wakeonlan to power on the machine - since I upgraded it doesn't work anymore. I didn't change the BIOS setting myself, so erm.. any ideas why shutting down this version of minimyth would stop WoL working?
I believe that some recent changes were made in the ethernet driver. In the past, there have been some problems with th ethernet driver putting the VIA EPIA M series ethernet hardware into a bad state because of a bug in the hardware/firmware. As a result, MiniMyth has contained a kernel patch to work around that problem. I wonder whether or not it is related. What motherboard are you using?

One other thought is that it might be related to the power management changes in the 2.6.15 kernel.

juski
Contributor

Post by juski » Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:18 am

Pablo - thanks for the pointers on the config changes.

The motherboard I'm using is an EPIA-M10000, so maybe I'm being affected by the bug. Oh well - it's not the end of the world ;-)

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:28 pm

I have uploaded MiniMyth 0.19beta3. It includes the current fixes from the MythTV 0.19 fixes branch. In addition, it rolls back the Linux kernel from 2.6.15.4 to 2.6.14.7 in order to see whether or not the changes in 2.6.15 caused the Wake-On-LAN problem.

Alfi

Post by Alfi » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:39 pm

I'm trying to build gar-minimyth version 0.19beta3 with svn 9050, but i'm getting the following error

Code: Select all

i586-minimyth-linux-gnu-g++ -c -I/mnt/hdb/minimyth/gar-minimyth/images/main//usr/include/mysql -L/mnt/hdb/minimyth/gar-minimyth/images/main//usr/lib/mysql -march=pentium-mmx -march=pentium-mmx -pipe -Os -fomit-frame-pointer -ffast-math -Wall -W -O3 -Wall -Wno-switch -march=pentium-mmx -pipe -Os -fomit-frame-pointer -ffast-math -fomit-frame-pointer -I/mnt/hdb/minimyth/gar-minimyth/images/main///usr/include/freetype2 -D_REENTRANT -DPIC -fPIC  -DMMX -Di386 -D_GNU_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -DPREFIX=\"//usr\" -DLIBDIR=\"//usr/lib\" -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -DUSING_OPENGL_VSYNC -DUSING_XV -DUSING_XVMC -DUSING_XVMCW -DUSING_XVMC_VLD -DUSING_FRONTEND -DUSING_BACKEND -DQT_NO_DEBUG -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT -DQT_SHARED -I/mnt/hdb/minimyth/gar-minimyth/images/main/usr/lib/qt/mkspecs/default -I. -I../../../../../../../../images/main/usr/include -I../../../../../../../../images/main/usr/include -I../.. -I.. -I../libmyth -I../libavcodec -I../libavutil -I../libmythmpeg2 -Idvbdev -Impeg -I../../../../../../../../images/main/usr/include -I../../../../../../../../images/main/usr/lib/qt/include -I../../../../../../../../images/main/usr/include -I../../../../../../../../images/main/usr/include -o tv_play.o tv_play.cpp
In file included from tv_play.cpp:18:
osdtypeteletext.h:90: error: using-declaration for non-member at class scope
osdtypeteletext.h:90: error: expected `;' before '<' token
osdtypeteletext.h:101: error: using-declaration for non-member at class scope
osdtypeteletext.h:101: error: expected `;' before '<' token
make[7]: *** [tv_play.o] Error 1
Any ideas

Regards Alfi

juski
Contributor

Post by juski » Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:10 pm

Will this beta3 minimyth work with a straight 0.19 backend? I suspect not.

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:50 am

juski wrote:Will this beta3 minimyth work with a straight 0.19 backend? I suspect not.
I am not sure what you mean?

The beta refers to the fact that the MiniMyth version is a beta, not that the Myth version is a beta. In know of no reason why it should not work.

As of yesterday, my backend is running MythTV 0.19 using the RPMS from atrpms.net. I am running the MiniMyth 0.19beta3 backend without any problems.