0.19beta3 on M6000 slower than 0.18

Announce/Discuss projects you are working on for MiniMyth

Moderator: Pablo

kdewaal
Contributor

0.19beta3 on M6000 slower than 0.18

Post by kdewaal » Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:12 pm

Hi all,

I have now the 0.19beta3 running on my M6000 frontend. No hardware changes in frontend or backend.
I notice that the frontend seems slower because:
- a few pauses/hiccups when starting to play a recorded MPEG2 stream (recorded with about 5Mbit/second by a Hauppauge card)
- pauses/hiccups at the moment the OSD disappears
I did not have these problems with the the 0.18.1.7 MiniMyth.
Playback of high-bandwidth streams (8.5 Mbit/second) recorded with my camcorder is not smooth; there are then contiuous pauses/hiccups. Medium bandwidth (4.5 Mbit/second) streams recorded with the same camcorder play OK.

Does anybody else have these problems or even a solution? I do not want to upgrade my M6000 for something faster right now....

Groetjes,
Klaas.

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:37 am

The OSD hiccups may be caused by the return of fadeaway in MythTV 0.19. I have disabled this in the themes, so I hope that will fix things in the next release, since it does for me.

What player are you using to play back the camcorder recordings?

kdewaal
Contributor

Post by kdewaal » Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:00 pm

Hi Pablo,
I use the "internal" player.
I have experimented a bit more with the encoding bitrates of the PVR500.
I have now reduced the bitrate for all recording profiles to 3500/4000 kbits/second. Before that I used 4500/6000 kbits/second (default quality) or
6000/7000 kbits/second (high quality).
With the reduced bitrate playback is smooth again (although image quality is visibly reduced also). Also with the start of playback there is now always bit of pause/stutter before it begins to play smooth.
For completeness: playback on fast PC from the same backend is OK.
I can always do further tests if you need additional data, or send you sample streams if that is useful (klaas dot de dot waal at hccnet dot nl)