Minimyth on C7 based UMPC.

Announce/Discuss projects you are working on for MiniMyth

Moderator: Pablo

shinysteve
Contributor

Minimyth on C7 based UMPC.

Post by shinysteve » Fri May 12, 2006 11:15 am

Hi.

Thought i'd drop a message in here today becuase i've been working over at Carrypad and Origamiportal to get linux installed on the VIA C7-M variants of the new UMPC devices.

We've been able to boot damn-small-linux and will have a go with Knoppix but one of the things i'd love to see is a minimyth frontend on a UMPC. It would be awesome to be able to pick up a MythTV front end and walk around the house with live TV running so i'm really interested in getting this off the ground.

If anyone's interested in the progress, we've just started a new thread about our general linux on UMPC progress here and there's some journaled info about Linux on the Tablet Kiosk Eo at the Carrypad journal.

If anyone has got any thoughts about whether the C7-M is going to cause a problem or whether the Unichrome Pro graphics will need new drivers, please let us know here.

Regards
Steve / Chippy.
Carrypad UMPC product portal and journal.

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Fri May 12, 2006 4:10 pm

The processor (C7M) and video (VN800) should be fine, although you will need to rebuild MiniMyth with mm_XORG_VERSION=new to be sure that you have VN800 support.

However, there are some problems that I can see.

MiniMyth does not boot from a USB drive out of the box. While you can make it boot from a USB drive, it expects to be able to get its configuration by pulling minimyth.conf from a TFTP server.

MiniMyth does not include any wireless LAN drivers. Someone would need to find out what driver is needed to support the wireless LAN, assuming that there is a Linux driver at all.

MiniMyth does not include any touch screen drivers. Someone would need to find out what driver is needed to support the touch screen, assuming that there is a Linux driver at all. In addition, because MythTV does not support mouse navigation, it does not support touch screen navigation. However, people keep talking about adding it, so maybe it will some day.

MiniMyth does not support good power savings modes out of the box. Some adjustments would need to be made to get it to work.

The base model devices appear to have 256MB of RAM, but they support up to 1024MB of RAM. Because it uses a RAM disk and because of the Myth plugins, MiniMyth needs 512MB of RAM. So, it would be good to get one with at least 512MB RAM.

Assuming the drivers exist, none of these are difficult to overcome.
MiniMyth running on an Acer ApireRevo 3610 and a Zotac ZBOX-ID80-U. Find out more at my MythTV page.

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:11 am

Pablo wrote:MiniMyth does not boot from a USB drive out of the box. While you can make it boot from a USB drive, it expects to be able to get its configuration by pulling minimyth.conf from a TFTP server.
One down. As of 0.19-13beta4, MiniMyth can boot from a USB key and can read the configuration from the USB key rather than from the TFTP server.
MiniMyth running on an Acer ApireRevo 3610 and a Zotac ZBOX-ID80-U. Find out more at my MythTV page.