Playback volume very low on playback

Announce/Discuss projects you are working on for MiniMyth

Moderator: Pablo

marijn

Playback volume very low on playback

Post by marijn » Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:24 pm

Hi,

This has been troubling me for a few months already. I have a VIA M1000 that is using minimyth 1.9.0.1 for a while now. The box is connected with the tv with a VGA cable and an audio cable from the onboard audio card to the tv. This worked ok for quite a while, the audio level of the minimyth box was a little bit lower than that of the tv signal, but no too much. Untill a few months ago when the audio level dropped significantly. I have to turn the volume on the tv up to about 80% to be able to hear anything.

When I telnet into the minimyth box, amixer tells me that the master volum control and the pcm volume control is at 90%. Turning that up results in distorted audio.

The recording level on the backend is (and was) at 90%.

Does anybody have an idea what to look at?

Thanks,

Marijn

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:28 pm

Have you tried playing the recorded programs back using something other than MiniMyth?

I have two PVR-250s in my backend. With different versions of the driver, the PVR-250 has recorded at different volume levels. For a period of time, the volume level was significantly less than the volume level of the tv signal. Thankfully, the newer versions of the driver have fixed this for me.
MiniMyth running on an Acer ApireRevo 3610 and a Zotac ZBOX-ID80-U. Find out more at my MythTV page.

Eduardo
Contributor

Post by Eduardo » Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:42 pm

The volume comes into play in a bunch of places:
  • When captured in backend hardware (amixer setting)
    When captured in Mythtv (mythtv setting)
    When played back in frontend hardware (amixer setting)
    When played back in frontend minimyth (mythtv setting)
    Finally your TV
My guess would be frontend mythtv setting, check the playback settings, or map the volume keys on your remote and adjust.
Eduardo
-- M10000-Ezra 512M minimyth-0.19 / AMD 1.1 GHz 512M PVR350 w/tvout Myth 0.19 knoppmyth.R5B7