MythTV 0.19-18 Has Been Uploaded - Please Give It a Try

Announce/Discuss projects you are working on for MiniMyth

Moderator: Pablo

Pablo
Site Admin

MythTV 0.19-18 Has Been Uploaded - Please Give It a Try

Post by Pablo » Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:18 pm

The latest MiniMyth release is now 0.19-18.

Normally, I do not post when there is a new version of MiniMyth. However, I have made significant changes to MiniMyth since the early 0.19 releases, and I plan to use the current version as the base for an upcoming MiniMyth 0.20 release (once MythTV 0.20 is released). Therefore, I would like people to give the current version a try and report any problems that they have.

I have listed some of the changes below.

Added local boot support. Several people have mentioned reasons why they would like local boot support. Therefore, over the last couple of releases, I have been improving local boot support. MiniMyth can now boot from a local USB device (although there appear to be serious speed issues with some VIA EPIA motherboards) or IDE device (intented for booting from a Compact Flash card via a CF-to-IDE adapter) without requiring a TFTP server. The distribution includes a script (mkflashboot) that install MiniMyth on a USB flash driver, Compact Flash card or any other device that appears to Linux as a removable SCSI drive. In addition, the MiniMyth image includes a script (mm_update) that will update a locally booted MiniMyth frontend to the lastest stable MiniMyth release.

Added NVIDIA and Intel support to the binary distribution. The MiniMyth build system has support for select NVIDIA and Intel based motherboards. However, this support was not included in the binary image. Therefore, if you wanted the NVIDIA or Intel support, you needed to compile MiniMyth from source. This was a problem for many people. As a result, I have included NVIDIA and Intel support in the binary image.

Added hardware auto-detection. Over time, MiniMyth has evolved to supporting more motherboards. In order to simplify this support, over the last couple of releases, I have been adding hardware auto-detection. At this time, all hardware except the sensor chip is auto-detected. Therefore, the only thing that MM_HARDWARE_MOTHERBOARD controls is which sensor chip kernel module is loaded. The kernel modules required by the hardware are auto-detected and auto-loaded using udev's modalias support. The X driver is auto-detected using a custom script and configuration files. In addition, USB based remote control receivers and LCD/VFD displays are auto-detected using custom scripts and configuration files. If you have a piece of hardware that is not auto-detected, please report the hardware along with the output of 'lspci -mn' for PCI connected hardware and 'lsusb' for USB connected hardware. Note that as part of the udev based hardware auto-detection, I needed to upgrade the kernel from 2.6.15.7 to 2.6.17.11.

Added scripts for creating extras, themecache and binary codecs file system images. Creating a file system images that can be mounted as the extras, themecache or binary codecs directory can be somewhat cumbersome. Therefore, I have added scripts to the MiniMyth image (mm_squashfs_extras_create, mm_squashfs_themecache_create and mm_squashfs_codecs_create) that will create them automatically. In the case of extras file system image, it creates an image of whatever is in the /usr/local directory on the MiniMyth frontend. In the case of the themecache file system image it creates an image of whatever is in the /root/.mythtv/themecache directory on the MiniMyth frontend. In the case of the binary codecs file system image, downloads the binary codecs from the Internet and creates a file system image.

Improved LCD/VFD display support. MiniMyth has long contained LCDproc. However, the version of LCDproc was out-of-date and there was not init script support for starting the required daemons. In this release, I have update LCDproc to the latest version, and I have added an init script that configures LCDproc and starts the appropriate daemons. However, since I do not have an LCD/VFD display, I am not able to test it. Therefore, I could really use feedback on this feature.

Switched from CRAMFS to SQUASHFS. With each release of MythTV, the libmythtv library gets larger. Is is gradually creaping up on CRAMFS's 16MB file limit. Therefore, I have switched the MiniMyth root file system image from CRAMFS to SQUASHFS. I releasize CRAMFS is not as widely supported as SQUASHFS. Therefore, the distribution now contains a tarball fo the MiniMyth root file system so that those wishing to extract the MiniMyth root file system do not need SQUASHFS support on their system.

Removed themes from the root file system image. With each release of MythTV, more themes are added. With MythTV 0.19, themes are over 25% of the root file system image. With MytTV 0.19, themes are an even larger percentage. Therefore, all themes (except default, default-wide and defaultosd) have been separated into individual SQUASHFS images and included as part of the distribution in a directory named 'themes'. The minimyth.conf parameters 'MM_THEME_NAME' and 'MM_THEMEOSD_NAME' control which MythTV theme and MythTV OSD theme will be downloaded and mounted at boot time.
Last edited by Pablo on Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
MiniMyth running on an Acer ApireRevo 3610 and a Zotac ZBOX-ID80-U. Find out more at my MythTV page.

shec0002

main page update?

Post by shec0002 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:40 pm

Is there a reason to keep the "home page" out of date? I think some people turn away from the project, because from the front page it isn't obvious how to get started.

Pablo
Site Admin

Re: main page update?

Post by Pablo » Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:13 am

shec0002 wrote:Is there a reason to keep the "home page" out of date? I think some people turn away from the project, because from the front page it isn't obvious how to get started.
It has been on my list of things to do. However, since I do not enjoy creating web pages, I always find something else that is higher priority.
MiniMyth running on an Acer ApireRevo 3610 and a Zotac ZBOX-ID80-U. Find out more at my MythTV page.

lmatter
Contributor

Post by lmatter » Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:31 pm

If someone wants to help out and update the home page, please step forward. Pablo is focused on building minimyth and I have no time lately for this (and I also do not enjoy building web pages).

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
Larry

shec0002

Ill make a static page

Post by shec0002 » Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:06 am

Ill make a static page if you can post it when I send it to you guys, unless you want to put it in source control.

lmatter
Contributor

Post by lmatter » Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:45 am

Sounds great. Thanks for helping out!

Larry

antw

Could not boot 0.19.16

Post by antw » Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:28 pm

Tried the new version, would not boot for me. It fails when the kernel
trys to mount the rootfs with a cannot find filesystem block error. If the
exact error is interesting I can copy it down for you.

Working fine with the 0.19.13beta4 which I am currently running.
Other than changing the pxelinux.cfg/default file to point to the
new kernel and root images I changed nothing. The previous settings
in the minimyth.conf file looked acceptable to me.

I'm using an EPIA SP13000 with 512Mb RAM.

Pablo
Site Admin

Re: Could not boot 0.19.16

Post by Pablo » Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:57 pm

antw wrote:Tried the new version, would not boot for me. It fails when the kernel
trys to mount the rootfs with a cannot find filesystem block error. If the
exact error is interesting I can copy it down for you.

Working fine with the 0.19.13beta4 which I am currently running.
Other than changing the pxelinux.cfg/default file to point to the
new kernel and root images I changed nothing. The previous settings
in the minimyth.conf file looked acceptable to me.

I'm using an EPIA SP13000 with 512Mb RAM.
Thank you for giving it a try. I am not sure why you are having the problem.

Could you post the version of your pxelinux.O file?
Could you post the contents of your pxelinux configuration file?
Could you calculate and post the MD5 checksums of your kernel and rootfs files?

crax

Post by crax » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:50 am

I had the same error the first time I tried booting... It turned out to be a typing error in pxelinux.cfg...
I have it up and running on EN12000G, and it seems to be fine... at least it boots :)

/Crax

antw

Test again tonight

Post by antw » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:19 am

I'll test again tonight with a known pxelinux.0 version (been a long time since I updated it anyways =). I'll also do everything from scratch to make sure that I didn't make a typo in the PXE config file.

I'll let you know what happens.

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:04 am

Well, I have uploaded 0.19-18. This update separates the themes into individual SQUASHFS images and improves the local installation scripts.

It is 0.19-18 rather than 0.19-17, because right after uploading 0.19-17 I discovered a nasty bug in most shell scripts included in the distribution since the beginning. I had failed to declare variables within functions as loca, but I treated them as local. It is amazing that they worked at all. In fact, the bug caused one function to behave correctly even though it had another bug, showing that - contrary to what we were taught growing up - two wrongs do make a right. Anyway, this variable scope bug caused the local installation scripts to exhibit some strange behavior, so it needed to be fixed.

Also, I started updating the web site. It is far from complete. However, the main page reflects the current release of MiniMyth at least. Feel free to take look and make suggestions.

french_mullet

Post by french_mullet » Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:47 am

I upgraded my ME6000 based diskless frontend to 0.19-18 from -14 and everything seems to work fine. I only had to tweak a couple things in minimyth.conf. I'll run it through the paces over the next week.

Minimyth continues to impress me. Great work Pablo.

crax

Post by crax » Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:00 pm

As I have tried making the NFS boot working, I have used the MM_DNS_SERVERS config attribute in minimyth.conf.

It didn't work at once, as I think you have made a typo in /etc/rc.d/init.d/conf in line 156... It says

MM_DNS_SERVERS=${MM_DNS_SERVER:-${MM_DHCP_DNS_SERVERS}}

where I suppose it should have been

MM_DNS_SERVERS=${MM_DNS_SERVERS:-${MM_DHCP_DNS_SERVERS}}

/Crax

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:10 pm

crax wrote:As I have tried making the NFS boot working, I have used the MM_DNS_SERVERS config attribute in minimyth.conf.

It didn't work at once, as I think you have made a typo in /etc/rc.d/init.d/conf in line 156... It says

MM_DNS_SERVERS=${MM_DNS_SERVER:-${MM_DHCP_DNS_SERVERS}}

where I suppose it should have been

MM_DNS_SERVERS=${MM_DNS_SERVERS:-${MM_DHCP_DNS_SERVERS}}

/Crax
Thank you. You are correct. I will fix it.

For now, putting MM_DHCP_DNS_SERVERS on your boot line or in your minimyth.conf should work around the problem.

crax

Post by crax » Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:13 pm

Ye, already did that... Just wanted to let you know :)

The rest seems to work fine... so far!

/Crax