theme bloat

Announce/Discuss projects you are working on for MiniMyth

Moderator: Pablo

Pablo
Site Admin

theme bloat

Post by Pablo » Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:28 am

With each release of MythTV, MythTV gets bigger.

With each release of MythTV, MythTV adds more themes.

With MythTV 0.20.0, it appears that the themes will be about 17MB after compression. Therefore, I am thinking out separating out the themes and using the MiniMyth init scripts to download the Theme and OSD Theme configured in the minimyth.conf file at boot time. This way, only the themes that you are using will be downloaded. What do people think?
MiniMyth running on an Acer ApireRevo 3610 and a Zotac ZBOX-ID80-U. Find out more at my MythTV page.

sgargash

Post by sgargash » Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:57 am

Frankly I don't see a reason for more than one theme. Who wants their UI to change every time they turn it on? I'd argue that a single value is sufficient.

But that's just my opinion.

crax

Post by crax » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:26 am

It's not a matter of how many themes ppl use, it's more about the fact, that different ppl use different themes, and putting them all in the MiniMyth package would be way overhead with the new theme structure in 0.20...

I like the idea of loading stuff off the LAN, so go for it, Pablo! As long as the theme preparation, resizing images etc remains cacheable :)

/Crax

bigA

Post by bigA » Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:51 pm

sounds good to me, thanks Pablo
------------------------------------------
We Live to Survive our Paradoxes!

shec0002

differnt form factors

Post by shec0002 » Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:04 am

It may be nice to have a couple of themes to account for ntsc,pal,and HD. Just a thought. I have tested all themes on ntsc, and HD wide, and they all work, just some look better then others.

juski
Contributor

Post by juski » Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:26 am

If I may add my $0.02 here....

Having a choice of themes is important, or at least the ability for the end user to add their own themes.

By all means split up the themes package, but please make it possible to store themes remotely.

With regard to NTSC/PAL themes, shec0002 - MythTV themes are all based on a resolution of 800x600 for the 4:3 aspect themes and 1280x720 for the wide aspect themes - so there are no 'PAL' or 'NTSC' versions ;)

There's a strong possibility my own themes (Project Grayhem) will be included in the themes package in time for 0.20, making the package bigger by another 16MB or so!

So Pablo - splitting up the themes & making them choosable by a line in the minimyth.conf file would be totally fine by me :)
The words 'digital' and 'quality' are not synonymous

ThomP

Post by ThomP » Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:30 pm

In principle, I think separating the themes is a good idea - the less overhead loaded to RAM-disk the better (if I understand it correctly, that is what it's about?).

The initial post mentions a script, but I'm not sure if the scripting will be preconfigured in the download or left to the user? As a total Linux (and MythTV) noob, I think it would be fine if i can just choose the theme(s) in my conf-file, but if I am required to do the scripting, i will be lost (at least for a while :wink: )!

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:44 pm

ThomP wrote:In principle, I think separating the themes is a good idea - the less overhead loaded to RAM-disk the better (if I understand it correctly, that is what it's about?).
Yes, your understanding is correct.
The initial post mentions a script, but I'm not sure if the scripting will be preconfigured in the download or left to the user? As a total Linux (and MythTV) noob, I think it would be fine if i can just choose the theme(s) in my conf-file, but if I am required to do the scripting, i will be lost (at least for a while :wink: )!
The scripts would be be part of MiniMyth's init scripts. The download and mounting of the themes would be automatic. All the user would need to do is set MM_THEME_NAME (for the MythTV theme) and MM_THEMEOSD_NAME (for the MythTV OSD theme) in minimyth.conf.
MiniMyth running on an Acer ApireRevo 3610 and a Zotac ZBOX-ID80-U. Find out more at my MythTV page.

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:35 am

I have uploaded a new version that has themes separated from the root file system image.