Getting MythStream parsers to work in MiniMyth

Announce/Discuss projects you are working on for MiniMyth

Moderator: Pablo

mythstream

Getting MythStream parsers to work in MiniMyth

Post by mythstream » Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:19 am

Hi,

I noticed a rant on the MiniMyth FAQ page about plugins depending on PERL.

I'm about to release mythstream v0.17_2 and that rant motivated me to include a compile time option to remove the perl dependency. Assuming this change passes testing, any script or c, c++ application can be used as parser.

To make that change useful, I would like to add some basic non-PERL parsers in the next release, but I need some help to do that. What does the average MiniMyth install support, bash, sh, awk, sed, xml stuff? Anyone out there experienced with regexp and xml parsing in shell scripts?

Thanks,
Eric.

Pablo
Site Admin

Re: Getting MythStream parsers to work in MiniMyth

Post by Pablo » Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:12 am

mythstream wrote:Hi,

I noticed a rant on the MiniMyth FAQ page about plugins depending on PERL.

I'm about to release mythstream v0.17_2 and that rant motivated me to include a compile time option to remove the perl dependency. Assuming this change passes testing, any script or c, c++ application can be used as parser.
This is great. Thank you for doing this. Although, this sort of positive feedback might just encourage my ranting.
To make that change useful, I would like to add some basic non-PERL parsers in the next release, but I need some help to do that. What does the average MiniMyth install support, bash, sh, awk, sed, xml stuff?
For many of its utilities, MiniMyth uses Busybox (currently 1.2.1). For a shell, it uses Busybox's ash shell, which is an sh shell that lacks some of the more advanced features found in bash. In addition, it includes, Busybox's awk and sed.

MiniMyth does not contain any XML parser utility. However, it contains libexpat (a C library for XML parsing), because fontconfig and the DRI drivers rely on it. If there is some XML parsing utility that would make the parsing easier, then let me know and I can add it.
Anyone out there experienced with regexp and xml parsing in shell scripts?
While I know enough about regexp and shell scripting to be dangerous, I have no experience using them in conjuction with XML parsing. Actually, I am more comfortable using Perl for getting scriptable jobs done, but I wanted to keep MiniMyth as small as possible, so I do the job with shell scripts and sed.
Thanks
Thank you.
MiniMyth running on an Acer ApireRevo 3610 and a Zotac ZBOX-ID80-U. Find out more at my MythTV page.

mythstream

MythStream with binary parsers

Post by mythstream » Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:18 am

Pablo,

Added a compile time option to switch the parser interface between perl, binary executable and parser launch through a shell call (sh -c).

Bash regexp/xml requires some research. So for now I created two binary parsers - "default" and "podcast" - using C++ with QT's qdom and qregexp includes. The default parser is the "fallback" parser that kicks in whenever a stream fails to play, e.g. with some stream meta files. The podcast parser, well, that's for podcasts :)

MiniMyth *does* have full qt3 support?

I expect to publish version 0.17_2 in a few days, including these changes.

Eric.

Pablo
Site Admin

Re: MythStream with binary parsers

Post by Pablo » Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:09 am

mythstream wrote:Pablo,

Added a compile time option to switch the parser interface between perl, binary executable and parser launch through a shell call (sh -c).

Bash regexp/xml requires some research. So for now I created two binary parsers - "default" and "podcast" - using C++ with QT's qdom and qregexp includes. The default parser is the "fallback" parser that kicks in whenever a stream fails to play, e.g. with some stream meta files. The podcast parser, well, that's for podcasts :)

MiniMyth *does* have full qt3 support?
Yes. It includes qt-x11-free-3.3.6, which has the qdom and qregexp includes.
I expect to publish version 0.17_2 in a few days, including these changes.
Cool. I will add it to MiniMyth before the first first MiniMyth release containing MythTV 0.20.
MiniMyth running on an Acer ApireRevo 3610 and a Zotac ZBOX-ID80-U. Find out more at my MythTV page.

mythstream

MythStream 0.17_2 online

Post by mythstream » Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:38 am

Finished it last night (living on gmt+1 here). So it only *seems* v0.17_2 is released on friday 13th...

Pablo
Site Admin

Re: MythStream 0.17_2 online

Post by Pablo » Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:52 pm

mythstream wrote:Finished it last night (living on gmt+1 here). So it only *seems* v0.17_2 is released on friday 13th...
Cool. I will build it and test it.

mythstream

debug mode

Post by mythstream » Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:16 pm

There are two pro files in the MythStream tarball with CONFIG += debug that would read CONFIG += release if only I had a proper release checklist :(

alt_parser/default/default.pro
mythstream/mythstream.pro

Pablo
Site Admin

Re: debug mode

Post by Pablo » Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:03 am

mythstream wrote:There are two pro files in the MythStream tarball with CONFIG += debug that would read CONFIG += release if only I had a proper release checklist :(

alt_parser/default/default.pro
mythstream/mythstream.pro
Thanks for the heads up. I had caught the one in mythstream/mythstream.pro, but not the one in alt_parser/default/default.pro.

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:10 am

A big thank you to Eric.

The binary parsers that Eric has added to MythStream 0.17_2 appear to work well. I have compiled MythStream into MiniMyth and the binary podcast parser has worked for everything that I have tried.

The next releases of MiniMyth for both MythTV 0.19 and MythTV 0.20 will contain MythStream 0.17_2.

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:41 pm

I have uploaded version 0.19-19 (MiniMyth with MythTV 0.19) and version 0.20-19 (MiniMyth with MythTV 0.20). Both contain MythStream 0.17_2.