bogus members

Announcements!

Moderator: Pablo

lmatter
Contributor

bogus members

Post by lmatter » Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:13 pm

I've recently noticed an rash of bogus members; people who join so they can enter a website into their profile and have a search engine rank it higher.

This seems like a lot of work to go through for perhaps not much gain. But anyway, it's really starting to annoy me.

So I'm going through and deleting members who have no posts, dubious profiles, and link to a comercial website. I am going to try to find a way to disable members having websites in their profiles. You can still have one in your signature so if you actually post here, others will see your URL.

In the mean time, if you are truly interested in MiniMyth but havent posted yet, make sure you don't put a commercial website in your profile or your account may get nuked.

That is all...
Larry

lmatter
Contributor

Post by lmatter » Mon Oct 25, 2004 8:59 pm

Ok, I am trying this fix.

It prevents you from registering a website until you have 10 posts (I can change this if anyone doesn't like it). It also automatically bans any IP from which you try to submit your own reg form with a website specified (which a lot of spam bots do).

This should be a very transparent fix. Comments welcome in the OT forum. If you are mistakenly banned for some reason, you can contact me: info at linpvr dot org.

Larry